Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kara, the USS Barry and Libya

You have probably seen the images on TV of the first strikes against Libya. Well, our daughter, Kara, is aboard the USS Barry, which has been one of the iconic images you might have seen. Here it is:



It's an amazing photo, and I have to be honest here. When my parents called me to tell me that the USS Barry was being shown on TV after they fired the first missle on Libya, my first reaction was to be excited. My girl is on that ship! The pride came first- quick and easy. I think my mom was shocked at my initial reaction. To me the thrill of the moment overcame all other emotions. It was the closest I have been to "seeing" my girl in a long time, and to see the ship on television makes her seem not so far away. Like I could just reach out and touch her.
It was only minutes later that the reality of the situation set in. Oh my gosh! My GIRL is there. On that ship. That just fired that missle. At Libya. She could have been one to have been on duty and have had to turn the key. What does this mean?! Is she OK. Not physically, but emotionally. I was worried about her state of mind, after all, my reaction was so vivid and I am not even physcially there. I could only imagine that she was experiencing some extremely mixed emotions. So the first thing I did was send her a quick email. I was relieved to have heard from her earlier this afternoon with this reply:

"Yeah, im fine. I watched them all launch last night. I have pictures and video. Its weird, because we were sitting there cheering it on and what not, but look at what we are really doing? You know? It was so weird. Exciting and at the same time terrifying. I cried here and there, not like bawling, but my eyes were watering at some points. Its scary. But so exciting. I don't know? But im fine."

I am sure this is going to affect her. I, myself, have broken into tears off and on. I am worried about her. And I am proud of her. She is doing her job. A very important job. She has never had to experience anything like this. I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like. As a mother, my heart aches for her. I want her to be home where she will be safe, and I can give her a huge hug, like I am sure she is in great need of. I almost feel guilty of enjoying the little things that she is not able to. She is living a big moment in history that will forever change life over there. She is a part of something huge. My GIRL is a part of this. I hope I am not trying to sound as if I am glorifying this tragic situation, because I am not. But as a mother I am proud and happy and excited about this experience for her.  I am also fearful, and sad, and terribly worried for her and her safety. If you are the praying type, please say a prayer for all the service members over in the Mediterranean Sea. It's going to be a long haul and they need all the support they can get.

I will leave this with a photo of my sweet girl- or should I say my beautiful young woman.

1 comment:

  1. I no what you mean...my son is also on the Barry..his first deployment...i just pray for them..

    ReplyDelete

I thank you so much for your kind comments! :) Have a beautiful day.